HIT THE GROUND PLUMBING
If you are interested in becoming a plumber, you know the job would require you to install liquid and/or gas pipes. You anticipate fixing leaks and damages in pipes, heating, and cooling systems.
Did you know you may be responsible for preparing cost estimates, handling client calls, troubleshooting problems, and determining best practices?
As you develop plumbing skills in this class, you will learn how to use hand and power tools, read construction drawings, and understand code requirements. Your use of construction math will assist you with measuring pipe fittings and using framing squares. Our focus on safety will allow you to earn certifications in OSHA-10, fall protection, and confined space.
You will learn how and when to use different pipes and fittings such as:
- cast iron, and
- carbon steel.
In addition, you will discuss drain and vent sizing, grade, and waste treatment.
As you learn to read commercial drawings and structural penetrations, you will study insulation, installation, and testing methods. Then, you will install fixtures, valves, and faucets while being introduced to electricity, water heaters, and fuel gas systems.
Finally, to service plumbing issues you will learn to diagnose and fix sewage pumps, sump pumps, hydronic and solar heating systems, private water supplies, swimming pools, and hot tubs.
SAVE TIME. MAKE MONEY.
- After successful completion of the program, you will be an apprentice. (Average salary $32,000)
- We encourage you to immediately apply for the endorsed apprentice and sit for the journeyman exam.
- It will not take effect for 12 months, but you have just finished the class and knowledge is fresh in your mind. You are prepared for the exam.
- Typically, you would have to work in the field as an apprentice for three years before becoming a journeyman. Central Tech qualifies for two-years of work.
- Having passed the journeyman exam, your resume will stand out to employers. (Average salary $56,000 with top earners in Tulsa making more than $80,000)
- After another 12 months, you can sit for your contractor license. (Average contractor salary $78,000 with top salaries at $98,000 in Oklahoma.)
- Plumbing is listed as one of the six figure careers that don’t require a college education.
A shortage of licensed plumbers in Oklahoma and the boom in the construction industry has created excellent job opportunities for graduates. You can expect to find a job immediately once you finish your training at Central Tech.
Plumbers assemble, install, or repair a variety of fixtures, pipes, or drainage systems to local codes. They typically specialize in repair of existing plumbing systems or new construction. Plumbers travel to multiple job sites each week so if you like working in a different location each day this is the career for you.
Once you have a combination of three years of training and work experience you can sit for a plumbing contractor exam, the highest-ranking licensed plumber in Oklahoma. Plumbers with a contractor level license can own their own business.
Skills taught include:
- Tools & Job Safety
- OSHA 10
- Plumbing Drawings
- Code Requirements
- Measure, cut and join different types of plastic and copper pipes and fittings
- Install and repair Plumbing Fixtures, Valves, faucets, and hot water systems
- Gas pipe installation and service
- Testing water systems
- Service Plumbing
- New construction
- Sewage systems
- Private well systems
- Construction equipment
Areas of Study
- Plumbing Core and Certified Safety Training
- Introduction to Plumbing Fundamentals
- Industry Piping Materials and Processes
- Advanced Plumbing Technical Concepts 1
- Advanced Plumbing Technical Concepts II
- Diagnostics and Applications of Plumbing Systems 1
- Diagnostics and Applications of Plumbing Systems II
- Workforce Staging
Potential Career Path
Where do they find jobs?Read More
Graduates from this program can find employment in new construction, with some branching out into HVAC (even adding electrician) to enhance their earnings by leveraging additional skills.
May require additional fees.Read More
- First Aid
Students, Campus, TimesRead More
- Students: High School, Adults
- Campus: Sapulpa Only
- Times: Morning, Afternoon, All Day
- School Year: August-May